Sunday, September 18, 2005

Wendi Lost Her Jacket

I was sitting near the edge of a lake, taking photographs, when I saw my cousin Wendi and one of her friends standing on the docks near the small marina. They were looking in the water, talking to some official looking person that was standing next to them. It seems that Wendi had dropped her jacket into the lake, and she was convincing them that they needed to drain the lake so that she could get it.

Before they did, I snuck over to that area and walked out on one of the boat docks. The path was wide as it went out over the water, until I reached an area that was only about 6" wide. I hopped down onto this beam that was going over the water, and I then realized that I was too scared to turn around and get back on the regular dock - so I'd have to try to run along this beam, back to the shore. I took several steps and was doing okay, then the beam connected to a big log... and when I stepped on the log, it began to roll in the water. I kept going and luckily made it to shore without falling in.

A friend of mine from high school was watching as I did this, and he made some sort of comment about it - and then he told me to look at his bumper on his truck. I was still shocked that I made it all the way without falling into the water, but he didn't want to hear about that. He told me again to look at his bumper, which had fallen off and left only the attaching bolts. I pulled that part the rest of the way off and remarked how it looked like one of those Ab-Flex exercise devices.

I walked back along the shore to where I was taking pictures before and watched them drain the lake. Slowly the water level dropped, and even when the bottom of the lake was visible near the docks where Wendi was, there was no sign of her jacket. The officials were getting mad and then ended up calling her dad. Rick arrived and seemed mad as he walked by me, towards Wendi. Vicki was there as well, and she was just milling around by the shore - getting in the way while I was trying to take pictures of Wendi searching for her jacket.