Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Lancaster NASCAR Race

I showed up at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds to participate in a late night NASCAR Nextel cup race. I hadn't driven in the series before, so I was nervous about getting out on the track and at least staying out of everyone's way. I arrived late, so cars were already practicing on the track before I had even gotten in my car. When I did, I noticed that Bobby Labonte was sitting in the back seat. He was already suited up and had his helmet on, so I just put on my helmet and my little radio headset for communications. I keyed the mic and asked if Bobby could hear me, but my crew chief said that he couldn't. Apparently he wasn't there to help me really... he was just along for the ride.

We made our way onto the track, but I went out going the wrong direction. Bobby seemed to have at least partial control of the car, because I told him that I made a mistake and that maybe he should turn the car around so we could head the other direction and get some practice laps in before the race.

The next thing I know, the cars are gone and the stands are empty. I'm no longer in my car, but instead I'm walking around the empty track, picking up trash. It was dark, since it was the middle of the night, so it was a little bit creepy. There were a few other people working in the area, and I was watching them to see if they were watching me. It turns out that I wasn't really working for the cleanup crew, and that I was just picking up trash because I was trying to find good stuff that people lost earlier in the night.

In turn three I started finding the good stuff. People had left lots of CDs laying around on the ground and in the stands. I found a Billy Joel boxed set, a few Genesis CDs, as well as a Huey Lewis and The News collectors set. I gathered them up quickly, and acted as if I was going to turn them in to someone - just in case anyone was watching me - but I knew that I was really going to take my new-found booty home with me.