Friday, July 01, 2005

Big Wheel

I had just purchased a new adult sized big-wheel and was out in the road in front of the house, getting ready to take it for a test drive. For some reason, it wasn't ridden like a big-wheel most of us had when we were kids. You had to actually lay on your stomach on the big-wheel to operate it, pedalling the thing with your hands. So, I was on the thing, resting my head on the handlebars to steer... and I headed down the road.

I went a couple of blocks and then turned around to go back to the house. As I drove up onto the sidewalk, I saw our neighbor and two of her kids walking down the sidewalk towards me. They looked and kinda smiled, probably amused by the sight of an old guy like me riding a big wheel... especially since I was on my belly and steering with my face. After I went past, they yelled to me that they were disappointed that I never updated my webcam page anymore. I didn't realize that they knew about that page, so I told them that I would turn it on as soon as I got back home.

So I went back into the house and went up into my attic, where I had an elaborate webcam and computer system set up. I grabbed my phone and called the neighbors to let them know that everything was turned back on again. I also told them that sometimes I aim my cam out the windows and it catches some of their yard in the field of view, and all they had to do was let me know if they ever wanted me to turn it in another direction. As I was talking to them, I heard a knock on the door.

The neighbor girl on the phone said "did you hear that?" because she could see the person knocking on our front door from her window. I looked out the window and saw that it was a Brinks security van. I went downstairs and let the guy in. Dad had called him for some reason, and he was there to inspect the house for potential fire hazards.