Monday, September 17, 2007

Flying / Skimming Carpet Ride

I was traveling down the road that goes out of Millersport, towards Thurston, sometime during the night. It was very dark out... not even the moon was providing any light. I was actually riding on a flying carpet, with some crappy-ass headlights, but it wasn't really doing much more than hovering a few inches off the ground - and usually actually skimming the pavement.

I was moving at a good rate of speed, probably close to what you'd do in a car... however it was very hard to control, and that wasn't made any easier due to the way the headlights would wave about. (Since they were attached to the front of the carpet.)

Right before I reached a somewhat sharp right hand curve, I hit a hill in the road that sent me flying about 100 feet into the air. I lost control of the carpet, and was just hoping that it would land somewhere safe - with me still on it. Before I knew it, the carpet and I had landed at the top of a very tall tree along side of the road.

It was suddenly light out now, and I could look down and see that there was a large fence going around the base of the tree. And just a few feet to the east of the tree was a big lake, with giant waves splashing up and down. My carpet was now sputtering and smoking, so I figured the only way I'd survive was if I tried to jump it out of the tree and onto one of the big waves below.

I gave it the gas and it awkwardly left the tree, spinning somewhat out of control towards the ground. I could tell I wasn't going to land in the water, so I pulled back on the front of the carpet as hard as I could - and crash landed inside the fenced in area.

I got off my carpet, and noticed that there were lots of people standing around and talking to each other inside the fence. I saw my cousin Mongo, so I went up to him to tell him what just happened. He smiled and laughed... and then started talking to me really fast in fluent Spanish. I looked at him with a surprised look on my face, and he laughed again - apparently because he already knew the secret of the fenced area.

Once you were inside the fence, you were only able to speak Spanish to people. It didn't necessarily mean you could understand Spanish... just everything that you said, even if you were trying to say it in English, would come out in Spanish. Apparently it took a while before that effect would show on the new people - because I still had to struggle to think of just a few Spanish sentences to say to Mongo. And he just laughed when I did, because he had no idea what I was saying.