Friday, April 22, 2005

Apartment In Lancaster's Ghetto

Apparently Genesee and I were looking for our new apartment that we had just decided to rent. I don't think we had been there before, because we were wandering around downtown Lancaster looking for it. We found this old looking multi-story apartment building on one of the roads (which doesn't really exist in downtown Lancaster, but anyway...) and walked into the empty apartment on the ground floor. We were happy that we found it, and were able to get off the streets - it was late at night, and we were scared that the bad element in the area would "get us" or something...

Once inside we quickly shut and locked the door, then turned back around to peer out of the blinds to see if anyone was watching us move into our new home. The whole area looked deserted, but we still closed all the blinds and made sure all of the doors were locked. The apartment, inside, looked as if it had been frozen in time from the late 1960s. All of the appliances were old fashioned, the walls were drab and faded, no decorations or carpets to be found, and nothing in any of the rooms had any color. It was a completely uninspiring place to have to live.

I made my way to the local thrift store, where I headed straight for the electronics section. I was there to look for things to furnish our new apartment, but I quickly spotted something that said "COLECOVISION" in big block letters. At first I thought I had found a nice looking old game system for $9.96, but when I looked closer - it turned out to be a very old laptop computer. I was able to power it on, seeing that it had a whopping 10megs of memory. I quickly closed it up and placed it in a big tupperware container. I was pleased at the deal I was going to get, and I knew that it was worth a great deal more than what they were trying to sell it for. (Of course, a ColecoVision laptop computer doesn't exist either... heh)