Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Fireboy

It was nighttime, and I was sitting on the open porch of my old house on Bauman Hill Rd. It had been converted into some sort of house / gas station / convenience store hybrid - and there was a man driving a convertible limo parked out front, getting something to eat, while leaving his kids in the car.

One of his younger sons, sitting in the back seat, filled a mug up with gasoline and started drinking it. He said he wanted to set himself on fire, so not only was he drinking the gas but he was also pouring it on himself. His dad started to walk out of the store, and so his son wouldn't catch fire before he got back to the car, I got out a fire house and started spraying the kid (and the car) down with water. I put enough water on him that he wouldn't be able to light himself, but he had still sucked down all the gas from his mug.

The guy driving the limo freaked out that his son was doing something so weird, so he peeled out of the gas station and headed back towards Lancaster. Before he could even go over the hill in front of the house, I saw his car burst into flames. Somehow, the front seat also got gasoline on it and one of his other kids had started it on fire. The limo fishtailed and spun around in the road, changing directions, now heading away from Lancaster. Again, before he could leave my sight, the limo driver grabbed the kid who drank all the gas and threw him out of the car as he was driving away.

The kid was obviously sick and dazed, and when he hit the ground he just rolled to the edge of the road and laid there. I remember thinking to myself that I should probably call the cops or something, but I just sat there on the porch - watching to see what would happen next. One car drove by and apparently didn't even see the kid, whizzing right past him. The next vehicle that came by was a big truck, and it had to swerve off the road to avoid hitting the boy because he'd woken up and was stumbling and dragging himself into the middle of the road.

Once I realized the boy wasn't going to die, I ran inside, fearing that I'd be in trouble now because I owned the gas station where he drank all the gas in the first place.